Monday, January 3, 2011

Hitch

This is the first actual travel related thing on my blog. so anyone who subscribed to this blog before may not find this interesting anymore because i'm mainly using this to document my travels for my mates and me in the future.
so thats my little disclaimer.

So my little hitching holiday begins!
Woke up at 9 having rolled off my matresses on to a table next to me to see the sky pissing out all that it could muster. a pretty shit start i must say. Theres nothing worse than waking up to heavy rain when you actually need to do something. So in my usual lazy way i went back to sleep and hoped it stopped raining.
Luckily it did. So after getting my shit ready and getting pissed off at adams homo-erotic version of a hitching sign we drove to the other side of dunedin and sat on the side of the road to start hitching.
I've learnt that people who drive holdens are assholes. They have to make damn sure that you know that they are too cool to pick you up. Its not enough to just drive past they must show how awesome their car is by speeding up when they go past you.
Yeah, i mad.
Anyway, i waited by the side of the road for around 20 minutes or so and a really cool surfer guy called Josh. The car smelt like incense and Bob Marley was blaring and i couldn't be more pleased with my first ride. I chucked my shit in and he said he could take me as far as Balclutha because he had to turn off there to go to the Catlins to surf. I didn't really mind at that time because i was just glad to be in a car but holy fuck would that turn out to be annoying.
So we talked about surfing, adventure tourism, travelling and most importantly for me his job as a Chef. I had previously thought  that being a Chef would rock as a job because i just genuinely love cooking but then the reality dawned on me that it'd probably be a shit job due to shit hours and hectic work but Josh, by about 1/4 of the way through the trip, had convinced me that as a career, it totally suited me. Josh said he had worked in: France, GB, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Belgi... Yeah. he went through every european country apart from Bulgaria Croatia and Bosnia. (Turkey too but i dont think thats counted as part of Europe yet) So needless to say i almost came.
We kept talking about how more people need to get out into the forest and how more people need to give a shit about the environment and all that hippy shit that i am so fond of until he dropped me off in Balclutha outside a pub on the road to Invercargill.
So i waited.
and i waited.
and i waited.
Then i saw a bunch of 20 year olds get in a car at the pub and start driving over to me. Fuck they were drunk as hell.
They pulled up next to me after drifting into the opposite lane 2 times in the 200 metre stretch between me and the pub.
"Can you like get in and we'll like drive you ten minutes up the road?"
As tempting as it sounded to get in a car with 5 really pissed people i had to decline. she swore at me and left and not a fuck was given.
So i waited.
And i waited.
And i waited.
And finally after about maybe 2 hours since i had been left in Balclutha these two farm boys named Zac and.... fuck it started with Sh.. It was like Shawny or something.
That drive was uneventful. Although i thought it was funny that they were listening to some of the girliest music that you can throw out. Two big muscley farm boys listening to fireflies was funny.
they dropped me off in Gore which proved to be much like Balclutha. Alot of assholes pulling the fingers and doing the thumbs up and laughing.
Why do people do shit like that?
Anyway. i waited for about an hour and a half before three guys from gore pulled over and shouted out the window: "where you going to? and do you want a drink?"
Sold.
I chucked my gear in and was handed a woodstock. They explained to me that they had just been going down the road saying that it'd be fun to go down to Invercargill when they saw me with my sign saying Invercargill. So they all decided "well, why the fuck not?" They stopped at a liquor store just up the road and got another 12 pack (i think) of woodies and the woodies kept flowing. They were funny guys they talked about getting pissed, new years (i've got a feeling this will be my default topic of conversation when i have nothing else to say) and sluts. Oh how these guys loved sluts. They went on about how much they wanted to go down to invercargill and pick up some hot sluts in the bars and pick up some hot sluts in the supermarket, the dairy they were pretty confident that there were hot sluts hiding round every corner.
We entered Invercargill around 7-8 and they drove me straight to my brothers place which was pretty sweet. I said goodbye and told them how awesome they were then came inside to find an awesome dinner of lamb racks (oh dear lord how much i enjoyed them) various salads then cheesecake and mousse for desert.
All in all a success all round! Hopefully all of this will be just as awesome!

6 comments:

  1. I have also deleted a few of my posts because i can't be bothered listen to some people misinterpret what i am trying to put across (they didnt in the past but they will in the future) and i dont want to have to go through damage control to explain my points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Okay, tout d'abord j'adore vraiment trop ton paragraph sur la pluie le matin! Vraiment touchant. Puis les garcons qui aimaient les putes, magnifique. Bon voyage, prends soin de toi. J'ai hâte de lire la suite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Trukey is a part of Europe, if you are talking about the continent. It is also a part of Asia - geographically.
    They have not joined the European Union - yet, but that does not define a country as European. Otherwise Europe would have grown increasingly over the last few years and I have never heard someone saying Switzerland in not a part of Europe .... Anyway your travels sound fun. Where are you going next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm going to stay in Invercargill for a few days trying to find some work and then go off to milford sound. then see where it goes from there.
    I always thought that Turkey was part of asia because it was physically split by the water and it only had that little amount land on the european side of the water.
    Cheers runa I had fun writing it. I'll talk to you tonight on facebook yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  5. why the fuck didnt you go to the catlins with the surfer?
    p.s glad 2 hear you didnt get butt raped also told you hitchin was dangerous wat with the drunk drivers and angsty bogans

    ReplyDelete
  6. at that point i hadnt realised how quickly you could get to places hitching and if i had known that hitching is pretty much just as fast as driving. (well a few hours later at times.)

    ReplyDelete